Re: FTP masters willingly blocking OpenStack nova 2013.1 just right before the OpenStack summit

]] Thomas Goirand

(Cc-ing you, since I don't know if you're subscribed.  Apologies for the
extra copy if you are.)

> You guys are writing this as if it was impossible to switch from one
> hypervisor to another. Yet this is simply not the case. You can easily
> switch from one type of hypervisor to another with the current packages
> (by editing /etc/nova/nova-compute.conf manually and installing the
> dependencies manually as well). My point is just that multiple packages
> make it possible to automate the switch in the config file and
> dependencies by simply doing apt-get. I think this is an important
> feature and I don't want to see it go.

It sounds wrong to use dependencies where dpkg-reconfigure will do.

> If we consider that I'm requesting 5 more binary packages, and that we
> have 30 000 packages in Debian, we are talking about 0.016% more binary
> packages in Debian. I can't believe that only for 0.016% more binaries
> is so unbearable for the archive.

It's pushing the knife ever so slightly deeper into the wound.  The
problem, as Russ has pointed out isn't your five extra packages or
somebody else in particular's packages.  It's the cumulative weight of
all of them.  Yes, in an ideal world this shouldn't be a problem, but
until somebody comes up with a fix, that's what we have to work with.

--
Tollef Fog Heen