Re: SI units (was Re: failure to communicate)

On 05/04/13 14:06, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Daniel Pocock writes ("SI units (was Re: failure to communicate)"):
>> It may actually be useful for the technical committee to review what is
>> on the wiki and make some general statement about Debian's position (if
>> they haven't done so in the past), and that can guide the way similar
>> bugs are classified for jessie and beyond.
>>
>> 1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/06/thrd2.html#00700
>>
>> 2. http://wiki.debian.org/ConsistentUnitPrefixes
>
> You should try to address this through the policy process.  If and
> when we have competing policy proposals the TC might want to
> arbitrate.

Hi Ian (and thanks Ian),

Your issue is now on the radar and this is a clear way forward - even if
it has been missed for wheezy, I too would like to see this progress in
Debian, not just for the installer

Here is the link to the policy team:
   http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Policy

and this is the existing wiki on units, which doesn't appear to be
formal policy just yet:
   http://wiki.debian.org/ConsistentUnitPrefixes

In the short term, the installer team really appear to have a lot of
competing demands, there are a range of bugs listed for D-I related
packages.  In the long term, to keep Debian at the forefront, things
like installing onto bootable btrfs RAID1 works fine[1] but needs
changes to the installer to make it easy, and that appears to require
strategic changes to the installer architecture[2].  There is a clear
opportunity here for more people to be involved in the installer project
(both collaborating on the more urgent bugs and doing strategic work),
and approaching these issues as a whole would certainly give you a
chance of influencing its future direction.

Regards,

Daniel

1. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=686130

2. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=686097