[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Bug#681687: missing mime entry

On Sun, 2012-07-22 at 15:24 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> On 21.07.2012 23:40, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > On Sat, 2012-07-21 at 23:12 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> >> On 21.07.2012 09:11, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >>
> >>> Now, I think providing a tool to auto-translate .desktop files into mailcap
> >>> entries is a perfectly appropriate way to go about solving this bug, if
> > [...]
> >> The new mime support maintainer team, which took over the package just a
> >> few days ago, did ask the release team, if it would be possible to still
> >> apply this patch for wheezy [2].
> > [...]
> >> [2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2012/07/msg01048.html
> > 
> > As far as I can tell, that's very much not what that message says.  In
> > fact, it doesn't appear to request anything of the release team at all.
> Well, Charles did not specifically ask the release team, but he CCed the
> release team

Well, he hit "reply all" on a thread that was already CCed to the
release team.  I'm not sure it would otherwise have been copied.

> and his email contains:
> > 4) Postpone any other change on the main branch until either #681687 (tech.
> >    comittee) is solved or Wheezy released.
> This reads to me as if Charlees is waiting for a decision from the ctte.

Agreed.  It's still not even implicitly a request for release team
comment on the solution imo, but let's leave that particular horse in
peace before the discussion gets any more circular. :-/

> If Steve and other members of the ctte consider such a tool as an
> approriate way to solve this bug, would the release team also
> acknowledge this approach or not?

If it's the solution that the TC decide on to resolve the issue, it
sounds like something we could work with, at least imho, from what I've
seen so far.  I've CCed -release for any further comments, as I don't
know how many members of the team are following -ctte and/or this bug.

For clarity, the current proposal would be
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=35;filename=mime-support-desktop.patch;att=1;bug=497779 , or something similar?

> From past experience we still have around 5 months until we release.
> This should be enough time to get this ready for wheezy. And as said, if
> unsurmountable problems turn up which can't be addressed within say two
> months, we can simply drop the converter again and then add back the
> evince mime file.

With my release hat on, it feels like "there's still a while until we
release" is being used more often recently as a justification for trying
to get larger scale changes incorporated or fixes delayed.  While I'm
not implying that's the intention in this case, I do think we need to be
wary of saying "there'll be plenty of time to fix that still".



Reply to: