On 21.07.2012 23:40, Adam D. Barratt wrote: > On Sat, 2012-07-21 at 23:12 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote: >> On 21.07.2012 09:11, Steve Langasek wrote: >> >>> Now, I think providing a tool to auto-translate .desktop files into mailcap >>> entries is a perfectly appropriate way to go about solving this bug, if > [...] >> The new mime support maintainer team, which took over the package just a >> few days ago, did ask the release team, if it would be possible to still >> apply this patch for wheezy . > [...] >>  https://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2012/07/msg01048.html > > As far as I can tell, that's very much not what that message says. In > fact, it doesn't appear to request anything of the release team at all. Well, Charles did not specifically ask the release team, but he CCed the release team and his email contains: > 4) Postpone any other change on the main branch until either #681687 (tech. > comittee) is solved or Wheezy released. This reads to me as if Charlees is waiting for a decision from the ctte. If Steve and other members of the ctte consider such a tool as an approriate way to solve this bug, would the release team also acknowledge this approach or not? Anyway, let's put Charles and Laszlo on CC so they have chance to comment on it. My position is clearly, that this issue should be solved for good. Postponing this for another release just doesn't seem right to me, as simply adding back a single mime file would be an incomplete workaround at best. From past experience we still have around 5 months until we release. This should be enough time to get this ready for wheezy. And as said, if unsurmountable problems turn up which can't be addressed within say two months, we can simply drop the converter again and then add back the evince mime file. Is this a proposal that the ctte, release team and mime-support maintainers could agree with? Michael -- Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?
Description: OpenPGP digital signature