Bug#682010: [mumble] Communication failures due to CELT codec library removal
On Friday, July 20, 2012 17:48:07, Don Armstrong wrote:
> I've updated the summary with the suggested changes (at the end).
Please note that the table I had previously published to the original bug is
informative for when "server loopback" works when there is only a *single*
client connected. It doesn't take into account situations when an opus-only
client and an non-opus client are both connected, in which case [audio]
communication always fails for one or more parties, depending on which codec
the server decides all clients must use. [It would be helpful to make a note
of this above or below the table in the summary. Thanks.]
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2012, Ron wrote:
> > I think that's roughly right. If there's anything more people need
> > clarified or answered, just ask.
> > And I'm still not quite clear what his objection was, because the
> > response I got was:
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=682010#124
> The objection is that the issue has been raised before the CTTE, so it
> needs to be resolved first before action is taken. From what I
> understand now, while we could fix up some of the RC issues with the
> client/server in testing and unstable, we'd need yet another upload of
> mumble to unstable with propagation to testing in order to actually
> fix the client inter-operation bug.
Additionally I think it's best to show respect and use patience. It's a
difficult and complicated problem that we're all trying to help each other
> From what I can tell now, the ideal solution is to wait until Thorvald
> has a chance to enable speex for all bandwidths. If that is
> impractical/impossible then we get to choose between a convenience
> copy of celt, not releasing mumble, or releasing with opus. Is that
> the understanding of everyone else?
I believe this is correct. Thats 4 options, each of which have their own set
Two lines are duplicated:
11 + Clients cannot currently report speex version during codec selection
14 + Clients cannot currently report speex version during codec selection
"348" package in Wheezy will not build on amd64; zero-ice + gcc 4.7
"348" mumble-server will not start due to zero-ice ABI breakage
Otherwise it looks good to me.
Thanks a lot, Don.