Re: Technical Committee proposed GRs

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 07:56:47PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Also, the constitution gives the proposer the power to accept
> amendments.  If a GR was initiated by the TC, who has the power to
> accept amendments ?  Is it just the TC as a whole by its own
> resolutions (which would be rather cumbersome) ?  Or is it the
> TC member who proposed the TC resolution which started the GR ?

I think that if you as TC propose a resolution (that you voted on),
the TC is the proposer, not the member, and that the TC as a whole
needs to accept the amendments, and so have a vote to accept it or
not.  But I do see why you would like to avoid that.

To avoid that, you can just propose this as an individual, I see
no reason why you would need to do this as the TC.

> I'm hoping that you'll say that it's just the TC as a whole but that
> the TC can delegate that power.

I don't see anything giving the TC the power to delegate anything,
while I do see it for the project leader and the secretary.  So if
you want to do this, I will have to think about this some more.

> If so, the TC's own resolution
> starting the GR can contain something like this:
>
>    For the purposes of accepting or rejecting amendments to this GR
>    proposal, according to Constitution A.1(2), we delegate to <name>
>    the power to accept amendments, and to each of our other members
>    the power to veto the acceptance of amendments (as if each TC
>    member was a sponsor).  The Committee reserves the right to
>    overrule, by means of a TC resolution on whether to accept an
>    amendment.

I think something like that might make sense for an addition in
the constitution.  But I'm personally having doubts about this
veto power.

Kurt