Re: Request for TC to rule on a course of action for supporting build-arch

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011, Roger Leigh wrote:
> I would like to suggest that it may be preferable for dpkg-buildpackage
> to implement both
> - make -qn autodetection and
> - Build-Features
>
> This will permit the vast majority of packages to build using
> build-arch today, without any modification.  It will also permit the
> minority of packages where autodetection fails to disable autodetection
> entirely, thereby avoiding this problem.
>
> Given that this is probably not something which should be enabled
> indefinitely due to not being perfect, it would make sense to only
> enable this during the transitional period, after which all
> packages would be required to provide the targets and the check
> can be removed.

+1

I was going to suggest that. The way I prepared the corresponding patch
(the one you called "auto-detection") already does that in fact. So the few
packages were the auto-detection does not work would add Build-Features
in the mean time and the make -qn call will be entirely skipped.

Thanks for the rebuild and the analysis!

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)