Re: Request for TC to rule on a course of action for supporting build-arch

…
> Quoting make documentation:
>
> | The `-n', `-t', and `-q' options do not affect command lines that begin
> | with `+' characters or contain the strings `$(MAKE)' or `${MAKE}'. Note
> | that only the line containing the `+' character or the strings `$(MAKE)'
> | or `${MAKE}' is run regardless of these options. Other lines in the same
> | rule are not run unless they too begin with `+' or contain `$(MAKE)' or
> | `${MAKE}' (*Note How the `MAKE' Variable Works: MAKE Variable.)
>
> I think the above disqualifies the "make -qn" method...

This is not ideal.  However, consider that this is
40/8540 = 0.47% of all *successful* builds.  That is, 99.53% of
all successful arch-any builds work fine with autodetection enabled.

Could the committee perhaps consider that none of the options
under consideration will be perfect, and that it may make sense
to adopt more than one of the proposals.

I would like to suggest that it may be preferable for dpkg-buildpackage
to implement both
- make -qn autodetection and
- Build-Features

This will permit the vast majority of packages to build using
build-arch today, without any modification.  It will also permit the
minority of packages where autodetection fails to disable autodetection
entirely, thereby avoiding this problem.

Given that this is probably not something which should be enabled
indefinitely due to not being perfect, it would make sense to only
enable this during the transitional period, after which all
packages would be required to provide the targets and the check
can be removed.  How long a period would be required for transition
is not clear; it certainly affects about 45% of all source packages,
but we do now have the lintian check for it, and this doesn't really
affect actually enabling build-arch to begin.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh