Re: Death Threats posted to Debian Email Lists

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Bill Humphries wrote:
> I am writing because my partner just informed me that a threat of
> violence against women in the Debian development community was
> posted to the debian-project list.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2006/06/msg00143.html
>
> The Debian community needs to know what you are doing about that threat.

The event to which you are refering occured in 2006 from a known
troll; the ability to post to the mailing lists by that individual
(and as many accounts as were known about) were eliminated, and yahoo
was contacted to terminate the accounts. To the best of my knowledge,
law enforcement was not contacted because we had no specific
information to provide.

> What I hope you do is that you make it clear to the debian community
> that such statements and beliefs will not be tolerated, and the
> people who make such threats will be exposed and banned from the
> community.

The individual in question does not speak as a member of the Debian
community, and certainly not as someone whose vitriol the project has
anything to do with. In fact, the project was the target of the
screed.

> Fix this, it is not a laughing matter.

It cerainly wasn't, which is why it was resolved within hours of its
occurance *three* years ago.

Don Armstrong

--
PowerPoint is symptomatic of a certain type of bureaucratic
environment: one typified by interminable presentations with lots of