Re: Some coriousities about debian package maintaining

On Tue, Aug 04 2009, Sebastian Müller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I didn’t practice my english for a while, I am sorry for
> misunderstandings.  If there are some points of misunderstanding,
> please ask me, that I am able to solve them.  I am also a little
> unsure, if this is the correct place to ask, since I am new to debian.
>
> Today I installed a package via Apt (called ‚tor‘) on a server of
> mine. It installed a few packages on my hdd, to name some of them:
> tor, privoxy, socat, tsocks.  Privoxy started directly beeing a
> service running at boot, same goes for tor itself.
>
> Since I only wanted to use the package ‚tor‘, which was promoted on
> https://www.torproject.org/, i removed privoxy, socat and tsocks.

Package: tor
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.7-1), libevent1 (>= 1.3e),
         libssl0.9.8 (>= 0.9.8f-5), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4), adduser, tsocks
Recommends: privoxy | polipo (>= 1), socat, logrotate, tor-geoipdb
Suggests: mixmaster, mixminion, anon-proxy

        Since tsocks is listed as a dependency, not as a recommends,
 removing that will break the package; and the package management system
 is warning you about it.

> After I did that, I am no longer able to use apt, it is telling me all
> the time „unmet depencies“, from my log:

        Which is indeed true, since you removed tsocks.

> As result, I opened a bugreport. Since I weren’t able to install

        This is not a bug. If you override the package system, and thus
 break it, you are now responsible for fixing it.

> ‚reportbug‘ (due to the failure about the depencies), I also took a
> look at Tor IRC. A user in #Tor told me to write a bug report, since
> the packages should be ‚suggested‘ instead of ‚required‘.

        Two of the packages you removed are indeed not dependencies,
 namely, privoxy and socats.

> So, I wrote a bugreport by Mail.
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=539881 )
>
> As you can read the response has been nearly the same like: ‚You are
> talking shit, they are not depencies‘ Closed.

        That is not what was said. If you exaggerate, it is hard to
 grant you any credibility.

        What was said was:
::] Neither privoxy nor socat are dependencies.
::] tsocks is required for torify.

        Which is essentially true.

> Nevertheless, when I install Tor (apt-get install tor), the depencies
> are installed and Apt is morrowing when I deinstall them.  I talked to
> the maintainer in chat, but there is no way to get a normal answer.
> His answers were:

> CRAZyBUg• oh yeah this bug sucks, after removing unneeded depencies,
> apt stopped working saying 'privoxy, tsocks, socat needed by tor but
> not installed'

        I doubt that is the case. Only tsocks would have been reported.

> weasel• it'll be closed immediatelhy. so don't bother filing it
> weasel• because tsocks is 500 kilobytes.  unpacked.
> weasel• the .deb is half that and the ftp masters would bite off
> weasel*  my head for creating a package for a single file
> weasel• the meta data overhead and the maintenance and cpu overhead
> weasel* that goes with that would never justify itself
> weasel• moving out torify is one thing, but moving out tor-resolve and
> weasel* tor-gencert adds another 11 or so packages
> weasel• and I don't see the gain at all
> weasel• also, there's little point

> CRAZyBUg• Sebastian_: i don't care how big or small the app is.
> CRAZyBUg• It is unneeded and it's like installing some FTP server
> CRAZyBUg• while using apt-get install firefox

>  weasel• bullshit. tsocks isn't a daemon.

> CRAZyBUg• tsocks is unneeded for running tor, am i right, weasel?

> weasel• it's needed for torify which is part of tor.
> weasel• anyway, you are unlikely to change my opinion here.
> weasel• and you didn't even do us the courtesy of reading backlog and
> weasel• instead just chose to steal my time again weasel• so have a nice
> weasel• day. bye.

        How to manage their package is up to the maintainer, and usually
 a great deal of latitude is granted to them. This seems like a
 reasonable explanation from the maintainer.

> The thing about ‚torify is part of tor‘ is right, but it is used only
> if privoxy or something like is installed too on localhost. When you

        Umm, why is this? Why can't I have a socks using application
 without needing a proxy?

> don’t need privoxy/socat (due to use on a server), you don’t need
> torify. Due to that, the tsocks depency is unneeded (like privoxy and
> socat).  But all of them are getting installed by hitting: apt-get

        torify is a simple wrapper that calls tsocks with a tor specific
 configuration file.  I don't see tsocks being optional here, though
 privoxy does seem unrelated.

> install tor Privoxy is a daemon running in background. WTF?

        You can tell aptitude not to install recommends by default.

> I am not able to talk to weasel, since he doesn’t want to talk to me
> anymore, as you can read in the chatlines.  I were using freeBSD the
> last years, started using debian a few month ago.  My requirement for
> security starts by installing as few software (and DAEMONS!!) as
> possible.  It would be nice, if you could answer me if I am wrong
> using debian with that requirement.  Nevertheless, weasel wasn’t able
> to answer me how to get apt-get working without using tsocks. Maybe
> you are able to.  I don’t know how else to contact, so I hope you can
> help me out.

        This determination needs to be made by you.

        I do not see this as something that the TC needs take action on.

        manoj
--
Double!