Re: Processed: destruction of round-robin functionality is fucking up our mirrors and making Debian suck for many people, hence fixing this is a release-critical "wish"

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 10:39:13PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> I've noticed that security.debian.org, which is composed of three hosts,
> appears to be resolved by apts so that only one of them, steffani, gets
> picked. I can't substantiate this with exact log evidence yet (there's an
> outstanding RT ticket for that), but the system load on that machine is
> consistently high and network speed low, whereas the other two machines
> are practically idling in comparison.

Steve Langasek happened to ask me today to find some hard facts regarding
the round-robin functionality, so I stopped procrastinating :) and finally
set up tracking of the security.d.o machines' /proc/net/dev
(I had previously asked DSA to share their own stats, but they chose to
install rrdtool for me to use instead).

The RRDs are now being generated every minute (in my home dir on those
machines), and I have prepared a set of rrd.cgi instances that graph them
(but not on those machines, because of various intricate prerequisites).

Right now, with a small sample of just some 110 minutes, the machine eth0s
have been averaging:
* villa: 4.69 MB/s
* lobos: 4.08 MB/s
* steffani: 15.14 MB/s

Steve pointed me to http://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2007/12/msg00033.html
And this is starting to match, although not as precisely. But, again, this
is too small a sample for a variety of reasons, so let's give it some time.

I'd appreciate it if someone would send a reminder in a day or two so that
I send over the data then.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.