Re: Package-created usernames

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 09:57:41PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> On the question of grandfathering, I would suggest that we explicitly
> bless at least
>   - the commonly-known UNIX user and group names
>     (someone should go through base-files and check the list there)
>   - existing packages already using names with capital letters in
>     them

I think I am unable to post to debian-ctte due to not being subscribed,
but perhaps you could forward this. A little while ago I did essentially
this work for the benefit of the installer, and recorded the result in
the 'reserved-usernames' file in the user-setup package. I would propose
that as a good starting point for any grandfathering.