Re: mixmaster /etc/default/*

Anthony Towns writes ("Re: mixmaster /etc/default/*"):
> No, I'm saying that we shouldn't be in the business of reviewing every
> disagreement in Debian. And we certainly shouldn't leave the decision
> as to whether we'll review any particular decision solely up to whether
> whoever was disagreed with is unwilling to let the matter drop.

That is precisely what our job is.

We expect our co-developers and users to use some sensible judgement.
If this turns out to be a problem then we can develop some lightweight
way of getting rid of nuisance questions.  But there doesn't seem to
be a big problem here.

> The submitter's not "wrong" in any important way -- if he were the
> maintainer and had decided to take the course of action, that'd be
> fine too.

I disagree with that.  I'm not sure I'd personally want to push the
question to the TC under those conditions but if someone else did so I
would be willing to issue a ruling saying that the maintainer was
doing the wrong thing.

> Uh, the bug never actually got reopened or reassigned to the ctte, and
> the submitter's most recent mail said "I'm fine with the result." What's
> the point of a vote?

You appear to be referring to Jari's mail of 01 Dec 2007 19:34:58
+0200.  I think the "result" he's saying is "fine" is the version of
his request represented in Peter Palfrader's summary.