Re: mixmaster /etc/default/*

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 06:19:00PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Anthony Towns writes ("Re: mixmaster /etc/default/*"):
> > This is exactly the sort of thing I think we should simply ignore rather
> > than issue any sort of ruling on. It's simply not important enough to
> > be an issue. ie, unless someone on the tech ctte wants to champion the
> > submitter's cause, I think we should simply reassign the bug back to
> > mixmaster and close it. Err, if it's actually been assigned to the ctte
> > by now.
> I find it hard to understand this suggestion of yours.  Are you saying
> that in general, if we disagree with the submitter of a bug,

No, I'm saying that we shouldn't be in the business of reviewing every
disagreement in Debian. And we certainly shouldn't leave the decision
as to whether we'll review any particular decision solely up to whether
whoever was disagreed with is unwilling to let the matter drop.

> we should
> not issue a formal decision saying so, but instead just sit on our
> hands ?

If the issue doesn't really matter either way -- sufficient for at least
one of us to say "this is worth reviewing", eg -- one of us should thank
the submitter for the chance to consider the matter, decline to do so,
and let the maintainer's decision stand, without having a vote.

Have it be "someone files/reassigns a bug to tech-ctte, tech-ctte member
marks it as `confirmed' if review seems worthwhile, any bugs that've
been against the tech-ctte pseudopackage for more than a week without
being marked confirmed by some ctte member get closed", eg.

> But I don't think anyone is suggesting that in this case.  We just
> think the submitter is wrong.  It seems to me that we should say so.

The submitter's not "wrong" in any important way -- if he were the
maintainer and had decided to take the course of action, that'd be
fine too.

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 06:30:04PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Also, another question I forgot to ask.  Are the ballot options on my
> draft ballot (K explicitly approving of the existing policy and the
> existing package behaviour as laid out between my -8<- cut marks, and
> FD as the alternative) sufficient to express your view ?

You can't have a ballot option to say this isn't worth having a ballot
about...

> If you want to propose an alternative resolution please do so ASAP
> because as I say I would like to call for a vote.

Uh, the bug never actually got reopened or reassigned to the ctte, and
the submitter's most recent mail said "I'm fine with the result." What's
the point of a vote?

Cheers,
aj