Re: mixmaster /etc/default/*

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 06:40:36PM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> Deciding that an issue isn't important enough to make a decision
> requires making some sort of decision.

No it doesn't, it just requires not noticing an issue -- eg, by it not
being brought to the tech ctte's attention at all (most decisions in
Debian), or by the tech ctte missing it when it is (429761, 439006),
or by the tech ctte leaving it lie (436096).

> I don't think the CTTE has any
> analogous process to a writ of certiorari,[1] so once an issue has
> been refered to the CTTE by an individual the issue should be resolved
> by considering the merits and making a decision.

It's easy to get in the habit of ignoring hard, important problems, and
bikeshedding easy, unimportant problems to death. We're very close to that
atm -- punting on whether the RFC3484 bug is RC, while going into copious
detail about whether a "Proposed Standard" is a standard or not, and
going into detail about which file under /etc some option should go to.

That's exactly wrong for the committee -- we should be around to work
on hard problems, and we shouldn't be spending any time at all on the
easy ones, which maintainers are already dealing with.

I think we can deal with that without introducing Latin terms or getting
too legalistic and process obsessed though. Ultimately it's something
the Chairman should probably be taking care of though, I guess.

Cheers,
aj