Re: getaddrinfo() behaviour

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 08:10:33PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Ian Jackson (ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk) [070928 17:48]:
> > Anthony Towns writes ("getaddrinfo() behaviour"):
> > > I'd be interested to see explanations of why this should be
> > > considered RC.
> > I think that it should be changed in etch.
> Frankly speaking, I don't think we should already jugde about that.

> > >     (c) Using prefix matching to select IPv4 addresses is harmful
> > >         enough to be an RC issue for Debian
> > I don't see why RCness is relevant for updating sid.
> I don't see how RCness is related to the question.

One of the rules for RCness is "in the package maintainer's opinion,
makes the package unsuitable for release". Not quite the same, but
not very different is "in the technical committee's opinion, makes the
package unsuitable for release" -- is that what we think of this issue?

If it is, then I think that means a fix is needed for etch, lenny and
sid fairly quickly, the same as for any other RC bug affecting stable.

If it isn't, I'm not seeing why we need to overrule the maintainer instead
of waiting for an updated RFC to be issued with better guidelines that can
be adopted by upstream, and implemented in Debian with the maintainers'
consent. If we don't want to wait so long, afaics we should help get an
updated RFC out.

Cheers,
aj