I think my most recent posting on this subject
  Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:02:25 +0100
addresses this most cogently and no-one has replied to it at all.
Does that mean you all agree with it ?

We also had a discussion about the nature of our recommendation to the
IETF.  I originally proposed one short wording:
    3. We recommend to the IETF that RFC3484 s6 rule 9 should be
       abolished, definitely for IPv4, and probably for IPv6 too.
AJ objected that he felt we should be "making a definitive statement"
to the IETF.  I think this statement is quite definitive enough and we
should let the IETF get on with it.  But I did suggest a longer
alternative in my mail of
  Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:23:54 +0100
and no-one replied.

Reasons for disapproving of RFC3484 section 6 rule 9 for IPv4:

* The existing de-facto standard for the interpretation of multiple
  IPv4 addresses published in the global DNS is DNS round robin.
  Therefore Debian applications should follow this standard, even if
  they use getaddrinfo.

* getaddrinfo's primary purpose is the IPv6-capable replacement for
  gethostbyname and there is no reason to for an application's sorting
  of IPv4 addresses to change when the call to gethostbyname is
  changed.

* There are no applications that use getaddrinfo specifically to get
  different semantics for address sorting.

* Rule 9 for IPv4 caused serious operational problems (our own ftp
  sites failed!) when we introduced it (as part of IPv6 transition and
  conversion of applications to getaddrinfo).  Ie, rule 9 (not the
  lack of it) is what has compatibility problems.

* Lack of rule 9 for IPv4 has not caused any practical problems in the
  past and we have no reason to believe that it will if we make
  getaddrinfo not do rule 9 for IPv4.  No concrete example has been
  advanced of any application or protocol which might break.

* Even on its own terms (trying to find nearby hosts) rule 9 for IPv4
  does not make much sense given current IPv4 addressing policies.

* Rule 9 has been alleged to be a standard however it is at best at an
  early level of maturity which we should follow with care and with
  our eyes open, and at worst is a superseded proposal which is in any
  case inapplicable to IPv4.

* The purpose of standards is interoperability and where following a
  standard makes us less interoperable we should not follow the
  standard.

Taken together these reasons make it impossible to conclude in favour
of IPv4.  As I said some weeks ago, I think the point about
compatibility with existing deployments advertising multiple IPv4
records in the global DNS is irrefutable.  No-one has even come close
to refuting it.