TC process and improvements

I think we have had some, erm, procedural difficulties recently.
Without wanting to point fingers at anyone in particular, I have some
suggestions which might help.  Many of the observations below are from
having seen the consequences of my own mistakes as well as those of
other TC members, so I fully include myself in the implied criticisms!

The Technical Committee is a dispute resolution panel and there is
effectively no-one else to interpret its opinions.  So, it is
important firstly that the TC's decisions are correct, and secondly
that the actual decision is clear.  These are both more important than
that the decision is made quickly - after all, the TC is usually
functioning as an appeal body after someone else has made a summary
decision.

So:

When we propose a draft resolution that we would like the committee to
adopt, we should take some time to write a substantial and clear
resolution, which explains the basis behind its decision, the
reasoning, and the conclusions.  It should be clear (not necessarily
stated, but clear) which of the committee's powers are being invoked
and what we expect people to do about it.

When we are considering someone else's proposal, we should feel free
to vote for `further discussion' because we are not yet convinced that
this is the right answer.  In general, I think we should vote FD (ie,
`no') when, for example, there are unresolved ambiguities, or
unanswered questions about the basis or preconditions for the
decision.  We can vote no even if we think we're likely to be
persuaded.

When we perform a formal act of speech, such as proposing a
resolution, calling for a vote, voting, resigning, withdrawing or
changing a vote, etc., we should state clearly in so many words that
that is what we are doing.  (We can probably assume that someone who
proposes a resolution and calls for a vote is voting `yes'.)

We should not allow ourselves to be rushed.  We should feel more guilt
about a wrong decision or a wrong action, than about inaction.  In
particular, we should not allow guilt at inaction to induce us to act
hastily.

Thanks,