Re: Always ask for root passowrd twice, even on critical priority installs?

Quoting Raul Miller (moth.debian@gmail.com):
> On 6/9/05, Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> > Some people have argued this does against all established practices in
> > such matter. Others have argued that the way to install a system is a
> > very specific way and that, after all, the password confirmation is
> > not *mandatory* to have the process continuing.
> >
> > As the arguments seems quite solid both ways, I take the hard way and
> > hereby ask about Your Wise Advice. The discussion inside the D-I team
> > did not yield to a very strong advice, too, as far as I have analysed.
>
> I must admit that I don't understand the argument for asking only once.
>
> Could someone spell out those reasons for me?

This is a strict implementation of what's explained in
debconf-devel(7)  about debconf questions priorities:

       low    Very trivial questions that have defaults that will work in the vast majority of cases.

       medium Normal questions that have reasonable defaults.

       high   Questions that don't have a reasonable default.

       critical
              Questions that you really, really need to see (or else).

Strictly speaking, the first password question pertains to the
"critical" priority, because it does not have any reasonable default.

The confirmation question has a reasonable default or, to say this
another way, is not strictyly necessary to be able to continue and not
break anything.

About the keyboard problem detection, I indeed fail to see how asking
the password twide would help detecting it. If the keymap is wrong,
then the password will be entered wrongly both times....

Again, the strongest argument to have the confirmation asked at high
priority is that critical is really meant to be a *non default*
priority as it uses as few questions as possible.

This is highly arguable, of course....and this is precisely for that
reason that I have chosen to gather advices..:-)

(and not in -devel, at least for the first round)