Name of the Debian x86-64/AMD64 port

"Chris did actually originally agree to "x86-64" and at least Tollef Fog
Heen has agreed with it..."

I agreed to it because I wasn't thinking straight. I had thought all the
os/dists used x86_64 for some reason. I had ~ 103-104F fever at the time.
I was sick from 5/27 - 6/10 (?) Once I was well enough I realized that
nothing uses x86-64, only fedora uses x86_64 and everything else uses
amd64. That is why I changed my mind...

"They call it "x64" internally, allegedly.  And you're confusing my
natural sarcasm with proper debate, tsk tsk."

They might call it that now, but the last time I downloaded Windows XP
64bit off their site it was called amd64...

"
This isn't a marketing decision -- we can still use "AMD64" in
marketing material (or the better "AMD64/x86-64" moniker) just like we
refer to PA-RISC as PA-RISC.

This is a technical decision involving dpkg, so we should instead look
at what each use underneath the hood for their next release.

x86_64          amd64           x64
------          -----           ---
LSB             FreeBSD         Microsoft
RedHat EL       NetBSD
Fedora          OpenBSD
Mandrake        Gentoo
SuSE
GNU

It's not as clear-cut as you make out ... which is one of the reasons
we've *had* this debate!
"

This is not an issue of just marketing, all documentation referred to by
the other os/dists (besides Fedora) call its amd64. The only os/dists
that call it x86_64 are ones running a particular version of rpm as you
have clearly stated before. Even the LSB calls it amd64 everywhere and
only requires that compliant dists be able to install x86_64 lsb rpms.
Also, as you have already made clear Debian can't realistically use
x86_64 and since no one else uses x86-64 the clear winner here is amd64.

Documentation
-------------

x86_64		amd64		"64bit Extended Systems"
------		-----		------------------------
Fedora		FreeBSD		Microsoft
GNU*		Gentoo
		GNU*
		LSB
		Mandrake
		NetBSD
		OpenBSD
		RedHat Enterprise Linux
		SUSE

Internal

x86_64		amd64		x64
------		----		---
LSB		FreeBSD		Microsoft?
Fedora		Gentoo
SuSE		GNU*
GNU*		Mandrake
		Microsoft
		NetBSD
		OpenBSD
		RedHat Enterprise Linux

1. GNU refers to both x86_64-*-* and amd64-*-*

2. Microsoft apparently uses both amd64 and x64 internally.

3. Mandrake, RHEL may convert to x86_64 internally when they adopt newer rpm.

"I believe that naming the architecture "amd64" when the Kernel and
Toolchain they're using calls it "x86_64" is even more confusing!
*Especially* for people using Intel chips."

As mentioned above the toolchain uses both naming, x86_64-*-* and
amd64-*-*. The "kernel" being only the Linux kernel using x86_64 and the
other kernels, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD all using amd64. So that's 3:1
in favor of using amd64 for the name. Unless we are going to have
different names for the arch for the different debian ports?

Chris