Re: Technical Committee: decision on #119517?

>>"Ian" == Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> writes:

 Ian> Anthony Towns writes ("Re: Technical Committee: decision on #119517?"):
 >> I think everyone agrees that it's a Bad Thing to have packages
 >> like this, the question is really whether it's completely
 >> unacceptable to ever do it, or if having packages with a single
 >> fairly trivial binary and different depends: is enough to justify
 >> it.

	If it is a Bad Thing, and we are trying to make the best
 distribution of Linux, does it not follow we consider this a bug, and
 try to fix it?

 Ian> Indeed.  I think that this kind of tradeoff between different
 Ian> kinds of costs is best left to the package maintainer.

	Unfortunately, unless this determination matches the one the
 users make, we have an issue. If the user thinks the program is
 broken, they shall report a bug. If it is summarily closed with
 essentially the statement "I do not agree", the result is frustating
 to the suer, who sees this as a flaw in the implementation (and we
 are all agreed it is a Bad Thing), and every such incident thwarts
 ones desires to report bugs.

	The BTS, and determinati0on of what is broken, do not exist in
 a vacuum.

	manoj
--
 A programmer from a very large computer company went to a software
 conference and then returned to report to his manager, saying: "What