Re: Technical committee composition and activity

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Ian Jackson wrote:

> I think the lack of responsiveness by half of the committee is a big
> problem.  It undermines both our legitimacy and effectiveness.  It's
> OK for people to be busy occasionally and miss bits of our work.  But
> completely disappearing and not answering email at all is out, really.

FWIW, I wasn't able to get to my PGP key when I had time to make a vote.
It's been a trying week. Lame excuse..

I was intending to vote A B FD

As for the rest of your email..

> * I'm advertising a 4-week response time.  This doesn't seem to be
> anywhere near reality, so I propose to change it to 8 on our webpage.

Frankly, I'd keep it at 4. At 3.5 weeks the chairman can announce to the
list the end of the period and summarize his view of what the consensus
appears to be. If someone speaks up that is not acceptable then respond to
the complaintant that further discussion and a vote will have to be taken.

I'd work on the assumption that people at least read the list daily, or
near daily (I do at least) and if something significantly raises their ire
they will immediately make a short response.

8 weeks is too long to be useful to anyone, and someone has to drive
things because...

> * We have a lack of questions to resolve.  I can't believe that no-one
> is arguing about anything; the silence may well mean that people have
> stopped caring, or are browbeating each other instead.

.. of this, there is so little to do that there is no regularity, and most
things that have come up so far are, IMHO, either squabbling or really
fairly minor to everyone except the people involved.

Take the last one for instance, the number of people who have PCMCIA,
a desire to run cardinfo and no X libraries must be vanishingly small.

So the desire to have a big debate on a descision that nobody will notice
is honestly, a little weak for me.

> It is important to remember that it is much more important to have
> only really good people on the committee, than it is to have many
> people.  If we can't find enough candidates that we're sufficiently
> convinced about, we should stay with the status quo.

Indeed, and no job with those requirements has ever been filled in Debian
by posting a help wanted ad. Bdale and the existing members should be
given first crack at recommending people before we resort to that.

Jason