Re: Technical Committee: decision on #119517?

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 02:02:38PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Anthony" == Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
>  Anthony> On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 03:31:18PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  >> > "Hey why doesn't cardinfo work?"
>  >> > "It's an X program and you don't have X installed."
>  >> In this particular case, you got me. In the general case,
>  >> though, I still think my arguments have merit.
>  > Right, but that's kind-of the point: in the general case this isn't an
>  > issue, since everyone recognises it's a bad thing to do and there're
>  > very few cases where fixing it would actually be worse.
> 	A clarification: On reflection, I think you got me on that
>  example, not on my general arguments.  Having a program fail with a
>  linkage error is certainly a bug.

Sure. I'm not trying to argue a general case here. I don't think cardinfo
or apt-preconfigure do generalise. There might be more instances that
should end up with a similar result for completely different reasons, but
I wouldn't expect there'd be many.

> 	Another interesting case is bsdmainutils: it contains
>  calendar, and suggests cpp, but calendar does not work unless cpp is
>  installed.
> 	Do people think that is OK?

Depends what the alternatives are and how much they'd suck.

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''
                    -- http://www.angryflower.com/vegeta.gif