Re: request for Technical Committee ruling on Bug #109436

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 11:57:49AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  There should be no wrong tarball on the archive, so I am not sure why
>  this is an issue. Why is such discrimination required, anyway?

The wrong tarball *is* in the archive.  We need to discriminate in
the following ways:

[1] We need to make sure the correct tarball is in place.
[2] We need to make sure the incorrect tarball is removed.

The "pretend the correct tarball is the incorrect tarball by giving it
the same name" doesn't let us ensure [1], and makes it harder to detect
where [2] is a problem.

Yeah, it might just happen to work [depending on exactly what's
implemented on the mirrors], but that doesn't make it the right solution.

Before I'd be comfortable with "overwrite old tarball" as policy,
I'd want:

[*] To understand how we deal with the invalid .dsc issue
[*] To understand what's wrong with a new version of the tarball
[*] To hear from the admin folks that we're not trashing their plans
(or, at least: I'd want to give them a chance to respond before doing
something that violates their .dsc interface).

>  Why is it that Branden and I are the only ones worried about us
>  violating copyright law?

Bogus question.  I'm worried.

Thanks,

--