Re: bug report dispute resolution request

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 07:46:22PM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Here is what the SuS says (AFAIK POSIX says the same thing):
>
> Token Recognition

>          5.If the current character is an unquoted "$" or `, the shell
>          will identify the start of any candidates for parameter
>          expansion, command substitution, or arithmetic expansion
>          from their introductory unquoted character sequences: "$"
>          or ${, $( or `, and $((, respectively. The shell will read
>          sufficient input to determine the end of the unit to be
>          expanded (as explained in the cited sections).

Looks to me as if SuS indicates that the above is suppose to happen
before:

>          While processing the characters, if instances of expansions
>          or quoting are found nested within the substitution,
>          the shell will recursively process them in the manner
>          specified for the construct that is found. The characters
>          found from the beginning of the substitution to its end,
>          allowing for any recursion necessary to recognise embedded
>          constructs, will be included unmodified in the result token,
>          including any embedded or enclosing substitution operators
>          or quotes. The token will not be delimited by the end of the
>          substitution.

Otherwise, why use the word "candidates"?

I searched SuS for use of words with the substring "candidate", and only
found two uses -- both when talking about shell parsing in situations
where there are alternatives to be considered.

What am I missing?

--
Raul