Re: Ballot update (was Re: usr/man vs usr/share/man?)

Hi,

>>"Raul" == Raul Miller <moth@magenta.com> writes:

 Raul> Also, note that we need to address all the problems with our proposed
 Raul> strategy.

        In which case, really, we should advice that a major upgrade
 to slink be made with the updated versions of man, dwww, info, and
 any other packages that use /usr/share/doc, /usr/share/man, or
 /usr/share/info. The release notes for potato will recommend that anyone
 using a package from unstable first upgrade to the updated stable.

        However, unlike what Joey proposed, this should be in
 addition to the symlinks proposal, rather than instead of it.

 Raul> Finally, I'm not going to strike Joey's proposal from the
 Raul> ballot for the simple reason that we have not had enough well
 Raul> reasoned discussion on this issue.  Yes, his proposal is
 Raul> inadequate, but that does not make it unique on this ballot.

        I think it is not inadequate, it is orthogonal. I would not be
 averse to us saying do symlinks and also do Joey's proposal. That
 would be the right thing to do, in my eyes.

 Raul> You've convinced me that I should not vote for Joey's proposal
 Raul> -- even in a revised form.  But it's already on the ballot, and
 Raul> I'm going to leave it there.  Let it get voted down.

        All right. But the idea does have merit -- and it does solve a
 problem we have right now (frankly, though, this may get done anyway,
 since VAR seems to be funding it)

 Raul> At the moment I'm far more concerned about our other three
 Raul> members.  I'm not sure if I should wait for them to comment
 Raul> and/or vote.

        Umm, we should be able to function even if some members are
 otherwise engaged (heck -- my vacation trips to India mean I'd be out
 for a month at a time)

        The minimum Quorum requirements have been met. And some of the
 members are definitely around (they voted for the chairperson).

        I'd say that we may send them personal mail asking them to
 participate, but we should not draw this out much further.

        manoj
--
 "In short, _N is Richardian if, and only if, _N is not
 Richardian."