Re: Technical committee mails ?

Hi,
>>"Ian" == Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> writes:

 Ian> I have to say that I'm rather unhappy at the tone of Manoj's mails.
 Ian> For example, the threat to block whatever we come up with seems
 Ian> unhelpful to me.

        It was not a threat. It was a reminder that we are not
 omnipotent, which seemed to be the implicvation of the mail I
 was responding to. Please read what I said in context.

 Ian>  Manoj, why are you treating us like enemies ?

        I am not treating anyone as enemies. I am merely concerned
 about there being checks and balances in place, even in this ctte,
 for it is far to easy for us to make sweeping changes to
 policy. Indeed, rolling back a mostly event free FHS move seems like
 such: there are a number of packagees that have become FHS compliant
 in all but /usr/doc, and making them go back to the FSSTND is a step
 back. I fail to see any rationale for this.

 Ian> Aren't we trying to do the right thing together ?

        I hope so. But we also seem to have the opinion that we know
 better than all the developers on the policy group how to go about
 doing things, and by gar, they messed up on the FHS move. Such an
 opinion, if indeed it exists, seems fraught with arrogance.
 Arrogance, coupled with power, is dangerous.

        My contention is that personal preferences aside, the policy
 group has mostly doen a decent job of the move, apart from one
 glaring and obvious sub move (the /usr/doc) where the policy process
 fell apart.

        Reversing all the move because perfection was not achieved is
 suboptimal.

        manoj
--
 In the days when Sussman was a novice Minsky once came to him as he
 sat hacking at the PDP-6. "What are you doing?", asked Minsky. "I am