Re: Automated Build Systems with Cross-Compilation

+++ Daniel Motles [2015-08-20 13:33 -0700]:
> Hi Debian-Cross,
>
> Are there alternatives to buildd that a mere mortal could figure out and setup
> that would work with cross-compiling? I target powerpc, and building packages
> for my powerpc image is becoming cumbersome with just my scripts running
> dpkg-buildpackage -d -b -uc -apowerpc in a jessie chroot. I need some
> dependency resolution. I know sbuild is an option to get correct build
> dependencies per package build, but that still doesn't solve the problem of how
> do I automate cross-building a large (20-30+) set of packages to produce a
> suitable powerpc image.
>
> Ideally, system would be:
>
> git push to git repo -> trigger cross-build on host using sbuild -> upload to
> private repository (ppa) -> trigger re-build of consumer packages -> upload
> those to private repository (ppa).
>
> Does this exist? I've tried to google around and buildd seems close to what I
> would want, except it also very complicated to setup and I'm not sure it would
> work with cross-building.

You are right that this has been harder than is ideal to set up for a
long time. You could try my 'xbuilder' package which is a very ugly
and hacky collection of scripts, but does provide a structure for
running a set of cross-builds (with sbuild, or older tools), and
uploading the logs and summaries elsewhere. You give it a list of
packages and a suite and a chroot and let it run. It does not help
with git-triggering

I have in the past done the same thing with rebuildd which is nicer,
but the cross support I did for that never got upstreamed (sorry,
things changed upstream before I got round to merging). Rebuildd is
(or at least was) also buggy with simultaneous database access and
things would break.

The two tools in debian that I would recommend are pybit and debile
(which recently became actually installable I am told). debile didn't
used to grok cross, and I don't know if it gained this since I talked
to Paultag at last debconf.

Pybit is installable and does understand cross, and can start jobs
from VCS checkins. It takes a bit of setup and needs an apache virtual
server (not a subdir of existing domain).

Debomatic also gain cross support in the last month and may well be a
good option, but I have never used it, and the version in jessie does
not do cross (or sbuild, so far as I can tell).

One of those should help you.

I have been menaing to do a proper review and document of all these
tools from a cross POV for several years now...

Wookey
http://wookware.org/