Re: What do SMEs and consultants want from the debian project?

Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org>
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 09:56:29PM +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> > > 1. what prevents SMEs from using debian more?
> > Lack of "Enterprise" Support. So what is enterprise support?
> >
> > Typically, back-porting of items that interest the enterprise.
> > Similarly, inclusion of items that interest the enterprise. Items could
> > be: Code, Patches, New Features etc.

Well, there's http://backports-master.debian.org and I'd be interested
in uploading if it was wanted - is it that there aren't enough
backports or is something different wanted?

Are there particular archive sections which are more desirable for
backports than others?

> How about SLAs?

What services would we be looking to agree levels for?  What sort of
levels?

I didn't find SLAs at some distributions like
http://gb.redhat.com/about/subscription/whatyouget.html
but I think what canonical has at
http://www.canonical.com/enterprise-services/support/server/service-level-agreements
is within reach of small consultants.

debian offers some things like life length commitments, but it's not
all on one nice page at the moment.  One missing thing mentioned on
those pages is 24x7 support, but I expect consultants could gather
together to provide that if it's wanted.  Is it?  I'm pretty sure the
co-op would be interested in partnering with support providers in
other timezones to create a 24x7 service.

> > > 2. what could the debian project offer to consultants to help you
> > > to help more companies to use debian more?
> > Can Debian be listed under various [HS]CLs of these vendors? They need a
> > single body to talk to and try to influence their interest. And that
> > doesn't always align with Debian's interest.

Which vendors?  (I thought I was talking about more users, but if
seeing more vendors supporting debian would help get more users,
let's figure it out.)

> Actually I doubt that Debian's interests are the biggest hurdle. Where is that
> body you need? And who's going to finance it?

I think we'd ask consultants, the project and clients to finance it in
some mix.  The debian project has some assets - I think we should ask
for a contribution if it'll bring more potential contributors to
debian.

But first, what does that body need to do?

Hope that helps,