Re: AYT? Support network, anyone up to?

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Tracy Camp (Gemnis 2.1) wrote:

> I favor the 'help desk' schedule approach sorted by time available and
> geographic region.  I like to stay in the pacific northwest because quite
> often I'm called upon for site visits etc.  as well I would like to seem
> some sort of standards established, this could also serve very nicely as
> the qualifications for being a memeber of the co-op.
>
> t. camp

You can go to our company web page and grab a helpdesk CGI that we
published in System Administrator magazine.  It is free.  It needs polish
but it is useable in assigning trouble tickets to people and allowing
people to browse their tickets.  It is sort of a watered down version of
Quintas WebQ if you have ever used that. Feel free to improve on it if you
like.

http://www.captech.com

I am not so much the "seat of the pants" hacker.  I have several years in
hardware service and in system administration. The main thing I have found
before committing to support something is to find out exactly what it is
you are agreeing to support. Debian makes this fairly easy since the
system is pretty much in a known basic configuration with some
customization specific to the customer's operation.

One think I would like to offer is simple basic system maintenance.
Example: Customer signs up for a basic maintance contract. CERT comes out
with an advisory for bind. You log into the supported systems, upgrade
their bind, then notify them by email that their system has been upgraded
to fix a potential security problem and you inform them of other operating
systems/versions that might be affected so they can contact those vendors.

In some cases, it might be wise to notify them in advance that packages
x,y,and z have been upgraded and that you want to schedule a time when
the affected services might be unavailable for a few minutes while the
upgrade is taking place.

It is support like this that many MIS departments like. It impresses them
when you are proactive in notifying them of the upgrades and that it is
part of the maintenance program that they signed up for.

BTW, my expertise is more along the lines of services configuration. I am
pretty good at getting the email, DNS, NIS, UUCP and news working and
keeping it that way.  I also know gated and can get PPP working ;).

George Bonser

If I had a catchy quip, it would be here.

http://www.debian.org