Re: Need some input, please.

"Kevin Traas" <ktraas@uniserve.com> writes:
> Why not a TCP/IP-based ethernet network with NT Servers and Win95/NT and Mac
> clients?  The NT server can be a server for both types of clients - no
> problems.
>
> Oh, and, of course, they'll need a Debian Linux box for dial-on-demand
> internet access as well...  :-)

You should probably add another Debian Linux box to act as a Web Cache and
perhaps Intranet Server.  Squid on Linux will give a significant improvement
to their web access speeds, and a unix/perl environment for students to
develop their own CGI's would be a significant educational resource.

Also, having two Linux boxes, with the server having two network cards, one
for the main network and one for the DMZ, gives you an extra line of defense
against the Internet:

                                             ppp
                              firewall ----------------------> Internet
                                 |           dial-on-demand
           DMZ |------+----------+-----|

               Intranet Server

                         WinNT Win95  Mac      etc.

If anyone says ``NT Firewall'' to you, say ``Chocolate Fireguard'' back ;-)

Cheers, Phil.

P.S. Samba on Linux actually beats NT at it's own game on most fronts,
     but I don't suppose your clients are interested in facts like that.
--
|)|  Philip Hands                | E-Mail: phil@hands.com  Tel:+44 118 9545656
|-|  Philip Hands Computing Ltd. | Mobile: +44 802 242989  Fax:+44 118 9474655