Re: Network on debian-cloud image

Hi Jeremy

On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 08:14:14AM +0000, Jeremy Collin wrote:
> We are seeing right now that you have change the network management to netplan for debian12.

Yep.  And this means network setup via cloud-init will actually work in
a lot more ways then before.

> One of my colleague wants to revert this for our customers and make all happen with ifupdown,
> so our customers won't be too disturbed by this (undocumented?) change.

It is documented in the source history, we don't maintain release notes
for those.

> I want to embrace the change and use netplan, as we also use systemd and cloud-init, and follow as close as possible.
> Does the debian team have a recommendation on that matter?

I don't think we will support ifupdown with cloud-init any longer.
Debian 11 got some weird setup to make dhcpv6 work without breaking
setups where it does not exist.  You need systemd-networkd to be able to
use the managed flag.  Also IPv6 only is not possible with ifupdown.

Bastian

--
Only a fool fights in a burning house.
		-- Kank the Klingon, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown