Re: which tool should I use to customize a vm ?

I am also very interested in this topic.
I currently in need of building a bare minimum image for AWS. My current approach is to use FAI inside of Packer script.
- Packer prepares the build machine (dependencies, tools, etc.)
- FAI builds the disk image
- I clone the image to EBS volume and convert it to AMI.

I wonder if there is better way to do that. Can I build an image without FAI using pure Packer?

Thanks

On 2022-05-30 10:07, Brian Metzler wrote:
If you are starting from scratch there are two ways to go:
1.) Start with the Cloud images available here:
https://cloud.debian.org/images/cloud/
Spin up a VM in openstack, make your needed modifications, then create an image of that VM.

2.) Start fresh with the Debian ISO and use hashicorp packer to preseed a VM with the qemu plugin.  This will allow you to script out creation of the image, allow for post processing of the vm through SSH and then you can pass the output image through qemu-img to convert it to the image format you need to upload to Openstack Glance.

Once here you can spin up a VM in Openstack and use cloud-init to do any final customizations you need.

I use #2 in my day-to-day work, to keep images up to date for my stakeholders.  It allows you to script everything out without having to do anything manually.

*If you have to do anything more than once, script it.*

-Brian