Re: EC2 Classic resources in the legacy Debian AWS account (was: Re: Next team meeting: 2022-10-12 20:00 UTC)

On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 09:54:41PM -0700, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 10:21:40PM -0700, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> > ec2 classic in legacy account
> > =============================
> >
> > We received a warning from AWS that the legacy account will be losing EC2
> > classic, and there might be systems running that environment.  Noah took a
> > quick look around and was unable to identify any relevant VMs.
> >
> > Also: the message was ambiguous, it may have meant that EC2 Classic had been
> > gone for some time.  So if you have a very old AWS system that you're missing,
> > this might be the cause of your issue.
>
> Looked a little deeper.
>
> The instance in question hosts collab.debian.net, apparently owned
> Valessio Brito <valessio@gmail.com> but created by Antonio Terceiro
> according to my email history (both CCed).
>
> Per the AWS notifications in the service console, "You have until
> January 27, 2023 to migrate your accounts to EC2-VPC or your resources
> will be at risk of termination."  So we need to either find a new home
> for collab.debian.net or retire it entirely.

Valessio and I are in touch on this. This service will be decomissioned,
so I will just destroy the EC2 instance.

> We've actually previously been in touch with Antonio about the
> ci.debian.net hosts, also running in the legacy account.  He's indicated
> a willingness to move to a new account, but we've never provided the
> resources.  Now would probably be a good time to do that.  There's not
> quite as much urgency with these instances, though, because they're not
> affected by the EC2 Classic retirement.

How do we proceed on this? We (I and Paul) were given account in the
past, but I don't have the necessary permissions to do anything that I
need, e.g. I can't create a key pair and therefore I cannot even create
an instance.