Re: help wanted, standing up mirroring sync proxies on public cloud

(Disclosure: I'm employed by AWS, and generally a fan of it, but am not
speaking in any official capacity on its behalf.  Never the less, you
may want to consider the possibility that my position is biased.)

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 12:03:18PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> DSA's looking into options to replace some of our archive mirroring
> infrastructure.  For context, so far we've been maintaining a few machines
> around the globe, called syncproxies, that serve as "hubs" for archive
> mirroring and push downstream mirrors.
> As some of that hardware ages we're looking at other options, including
> using cloud, to reduce the maintenance burden and make things a bit more
> flexible.

The syncproxy hosts store the archive and are used as rsync sources by
the mirror network, correct?  Inbound syncs from ftp-master (?) are also
done by rsync?  Geographic diversity is a desirable trait in order to
support the global nature of the mirror network, correct?  How much
inbound and outbound bandwidth do they typically consume?  How much
local storage?

> Would it be possible to work with the cloud team to stand up appropriate
> accounts and so on on one of the cloud infras Debian has a relationship
> with?  I don't have a whole lot of knowledge of this space so will
> probably end up asking a bunch of stupid questions.

Any of the cloud services with which we work should be able to provide
the services you need.  On AWS, where the cloud-team's footprint is most
mature, we have a number of SPI owned accounts and the technical details
of providing the resources you need would be fairly straightforward to
work out, although there are some outstanding questions around
individual user authentication to the service console and APIs.  The
bigger details to work out relate to the sponsorship agreement we have
with them and whether this is covered by it.  I'll poke around
internally and see about getting clarification.

> (One possibly complicating factor is there's some element of sensitivity
> because these machines host embargoed binaries for the security
> archive.)

Ack.  I think this is something we can manage, but we'll need to be
explicit about how we do so.  We'll deal with this sort of detail when
we've got some administrivia worked out.

noah