Re: Publishing raw generic{,cloud} images without tar, and without compression, plus versionning of point releases

Hey,

On Wed, 2020-05-27 at 10:13 +1200, Andrew Ruthven wrote:
> That may be the case, but not all *backends* can use qcow2 images. On
> our public and private OpenStack clouds we only work with raw images.
> We have to convert all qcow2 images.

I'd just like to provide some additional feedback with my operator hat
on as a consumer of the images that the Debian project makes available.

As zigo has proposed, raw uncompressed unarchived images would make our
job easier, and simplify the situation for other operators and users
who want to consume them.

Currently we go through the work flow that zigo has described where we
download the tarball, uncompress/extract, convert to raw, upload to all
the cloud regions we manage. Due to operational requirements all of
these steps may be repeated in some private clouds.

Trimming down the image size would be helpful as well - no need for it
to be 2GB. Smallest image possible (or reasonable) would make life
better for operators.

I would also like to thank the Debian Cloud Team for the work that
they're doing on these images, it is much appreciated.

Andrew 'OpenStack Cloud Operator' Ruthven

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
andrew@etc.gen.nz              |