Re: smaller cloud images, raw cloud images

Hi Thomas

On Fri, Aug 07, 2020 at 01:55:31PM +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:
> IMO we can easily provide raw uncompressed Openstack images for our
> users right now.
> Can't we just run a script on petterson after each release (not on the
> dailys) to untar the disk image, rename it (because it's always
> disk.raw) and generate a sha512sums file? Yes, the raw will be of 2G
> size, but this is much less than the 310 subdirectories in our daily
> builds. We also can have the sha512sum of the raw in the json file and
> check this.

Maybe someone can just implement that properly in our tool?  The file
is:
https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/debian-cloud-images/-/blob/master/src/debian_cloud_images/images/public/image.py

There are existing methods to create the tar and qcow2 files.

> Here's my list of things that are needed:
>
> create directory tree using fai dirinstall (using unshare)

Run tests

> du -s
> create raw image (dd) of size XXX
> Handle MBR/EFI partition
> create partition and fs with minimal size (shell hooks?)
> copy directory tree
> adjust fstab?

Create fstab.  This is the first place we actually know what partions
exist.

> create grub.cfg
> write MBR/EFI info??

This is called grub-cloud.

Regards,
Bastian

--
Many Myths are based on truth
		-- Spock, "The Way to Eden",  stardate 5832.3