Re: Debian Cloud Image not setting DNS resolvers on Rackspace Cloud

On 5/29/20 7:14 PM, Brian King wrote:
> Hello Jeremy,
>
> Thanks for pointing us in the right direction!
>
> On 2020-05-29 15:07:10 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Isn't the DNS search thing coming from DHCP rather than cloud-init?
>
>>> Last I checked, there's no dhcpd running in Rackspace's public cloud
> networks, so cloud-init would be responsible for setting up DNS
> resolution on server instances from services metadata entries in the
> configdrive's network_data.json (or from Nova's metadata service).
>
> That is correct; in Rackspace cloud, DNS is set 'automatically' via cloud-init and the config-drive's network-data.json on Ubuntu and the RHEL family distros (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS) using their stock Openstack images.
>
>>> I have to wonder if this bug report could be relevant:
>
>     https://launchpad.net/bugs/1850310
>
> Yes, this comment appears to be most relevant: https://bugs.launchpad.net/cloud-init/+bug/1850310/comments/2 . Based on my tests, adding the resolvconf package to the Debian 10 cloud image and rerunning cloud-init does resolve the issue (no pun intended!). In contrast, enabling systemd-resolve (which is already present on the image) does NOT fix the issue.
>
> I've already marked myself as affected by the cloud-init bug in launchpad. Let us know if you are would consider adding the resolvconf package to your base cloud image. If not, I can engage the cloud-init project.
>
> Thanks again for your help and have a great weekend!
>
> Best,
>
> Brian K
> Cloud Virt Engineer III, RHCE
> Rackspace Openstack Public Cloud

Hi Brian,

I've patched openstack-debian-images:
https://salsa.debian.org/openstack-team/debian/openstack-debian-images/-/commit/5a386303ba1ab60acd062c800d6bc16223483c08

and opened a bug against the release team to get the package updated in
Buster:
https://bugs.debian.org/961833

Though my experience with the Debian Stable release team shows it's not
easy to get modifications accepted, I still have hope this one will.
Feel free to add some comments to the release team bug explaining you've
tested the change and that it fixes things, and that it's without any
risk at all: that's what the release team want to read (ie: that the
changes are safe, that it's been tested, and that it really fix bugs).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)