Octavia image for OpenStack (merge request closed by Bastian)

Hi,

Today, Bastian just closed my merge request with the below message:

Bastian Blank wrote:
> We talked about this before I believe. But I was not able to find what
> consensus we got out of it about application-specific images.
>
> Please re-start that discussion on debian-cloud@lists.debian.org.
>
> I'm closing this MR, as it can't go forth until we have some consensus
> about handling of those images.
>
> Also please be reminded that Sid, Bullseye and Buster are not usable
> targets. Targets are OpenStack releases, as this software is AFAIK
> specific to single releases. The Debian release the software runs on
> is irrelevant.

Gosh, this is so frustrating ... :(

As much as I remember, there was a consensus of everyone against one
(ie: Bastian himself) that it was ok to build a specific Octavia image.
At the end of the discussion, either Bastian finally agreed or gave up
(hard to know...). Could the others, present during the Boston sprint,
confirm this?

I opened this merge request 5 months ago, during the sprint, and
reviewing it, Bastian, you told me that a lot of what was in it belonged
to the packaging of Octavia itself (in fact, octavia-agent), on which I
very much agree on. Then I postponed this merge request until I could
fix the packaging. The package being fixed in Sid, I reopened this merge
request a few days ago.

Bastian, I don't think you should have closed the MR, because:
1/ There was a consensus.
2/ The merge request could have stayed opened, unmerged, during the
discussion, which you could have open in this list by yourself, if you
didn't remember what we decided.
3/ You don't have the authority to refuse such a patch on your own. This
is IMO rude.

Another thing: you shouldn't be talking about OpenStack releases in your
message closing the merge request. Indeed, the upstream authors of
Octavia specifically insist so that the octavia-agent is forward AND
backward compatible, for multiple OpenStack releases. I had a discussion
with them about this on IRC. So it would very much be relevant for a
user of this image to run a Sid amphora image, while running OpenStack
Rocky which is in Buster. Or, more likely, the opposite way: running an
OpenStack Rocky Amphora when running on an underlying cloud with a more
recent release of OpenStack (however, unless the release team accepts
some changes in Stable, the Buster image would not work with the current
patch). You wrote "AFAIK", but well, you really don't know here, and
you're making a wrong assumption.

Finally, can others from the team please confirm to Bastian that it's ok
that I reopen a new merge request, and that the Octavia image is very
much welcomed, as we decided during the sprint?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)