Re: What belongs in the Debian cloud kernel?

On 2020-04-03 10:05:03 +0200 (+0200), Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 09:32:01AM +0200, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
> > IIRC Digital Ocean and AWS have it, but for instance Vultr does not.
>
> - DO
> - AWS
> - Azure
> - Google on request
>   (https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/instances/enable-nested-virtualization-vm-instances)

And countless OpenStack service providers as well, though whether
they do usually depends on if they've got new enough hardware, new
enough host operating system, and what hypervisor backend they're
using (for example, accelerating KVM on a Xen guest doesn't seem to
be viable).

I will say though, my experience with nested virt is that it's not
especially stable unless you control all three kernels (host, guest,
nested guest). I've personally seen upgrades of a kernel at one
layer introduce instabilities requiring upgrading the other layers.
Also the usual failure mode for this is the middle layer
spontaneously going away, so if you're not also the service
provider, you have little if any insight into the actual problem.
--
Jeremy Stanley