Re: Contacting cloud team for hosting blends.debian.net [elbrus@debian.org: Re: Any sponsoring for a VM possible (Was: Rackspace ending free hosting for blends.debian.net)]

Hello,

On 25.01.20 10:21, Andreas Tille wrote:
On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 06:18:20AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 08:35:30PM -0500, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
Yes, in general this is something we can and should do.  We haven't done
this yet in the new SPI-owned AWS accounts, which are the right ones to
use here (assuming we decide to use AWS; obviously there are other
options), so there are some administrative and technical details to work
out.

How soon do you need this?
Michael was asking for prolongation but the old contract he was caring
for was ending 24 days ago (without notice to him). :-(
I was also checking DigitalOcean[1] for sponsorship conditions.  I admit
I do not really want to be bound to twitter about the hosting
sponsorship regularly (I do not even have a twitter account) nor do I
want to include spnsorship information into the staging code for
blends.debian.org.  I have not yet checked other options but I guess it
would be similar.

So if you think it would be possible in SPI-owned AWS accounts in
principle could you give any estimation how long it would last to setup
this?  I can confirm that world would not stop turning round if
blends.debian.net would go offline for some weeks - but well, there are
some things that depend from its day to day operation.

[1] do.co/oss-sponsorship

No exact idea if this is something for the debian-cloud, which is more
about getting Debian best possibly used in cloud environments than it is
about running Debian-associated services in the cloud. But I sense that
Debian would benefit from some sort of policy via which such such
resources should be assigned without too much overhead - I mean, compare
the cumulative time Andreas now spent on writing these emails and so
many DDs having read them with the costs for $2.50/month for a
decent-enough VM on, say, hetzner.com.

All these secondary web pages that orchestrate the DDs are tremendously
important. And IMHO these don't update frequently enough (as in daily
with a day's delay because these may depend on another daily updated
service). I am not exactly sure about how the situation can be helped.
If CPU time is an issue then please fix that, but I don't think so, even
though it likely helps. Triggered updates? Would be nice, but should we
then not have some protocol between services? And is that something for
debian-cloud again to think about because it being closest to
distributing processess in cloud environments?

Cheers,

Steffen