Re: generic (cloud) image problems

On 12/30/19 1:53 AM, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 11:16:20PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> It isn't uncommon to have a vlan on top of a bridge, on top of a bond
>> (in fact, that's very common for OpenStack), and in this type of setup,
>> not having the ifenslave + vlan + bridge-utils packages would be a real
>> pain.
>
> Is it common that this is exposed to the VM though?  Or does the VM just see a
> virtual ethernet device?
>
> Ross

Thinking that there's only VMs is a dangerous assumption. There's also
bare-metal with Ironic. In such environment, it wouldn't be surprising
to have VLAN and bonding, then the user may need bridging.

For those who want to run untrusted networking for users, there's super
nice network cards such as the ConnectX-6 Dx from Mellanox:

https://www.mellanox.com/page/products_dyn?product_family=302&mtag=connectx_6_dx_ic

These cards have a multicore ARM CPU, 16 GBytes of RAM, which contains a
full operating system (I've been told, CentOS or Ubuntu), support nice
stuff like NVMe over fabric, and much more. They would be ideal to
support running bare-metal systems using Ironic. I haven't been able to
test them though (they are at about 1600 USD a piece...). But with such
cards, I am guessing it should be possible to have any kind of VLAN,
bonding and bridging for the bare-metal OS, configured by cloud-init,
on-demand for the customer. With the OS, it is possible to filter VLANs
to make sure the customer isn't destroying the OpenStack management
network (for example, by using the management network VLAN and using the
IP address of the router gateway).

So yeah, it does make sense to provide VLAN, bridging and bonding, at
least for our non-minimal generic cloud image. It'd be IMO fine to
provide them only on that one though, if we document it, so the other
smaller image can be kept small.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)