Re: generic (cloud) image problems

On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 11:16:20PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >> Right, both bridge-utils and vlan are required to setup a bridge or
> >> vlan from *within* /etc/network/interfaces.
> >
> > That's not really true.  bridge-utils and vlan add some additional
> > syntax, but everything can be accomplished with some basic pre/post-up
> > commands in the interfaces entry.
>
> Yes, indeed. But that's precisely what you don't want to have to do
> because it's too complicated. Best is if you can just use the "normal"
> syntax, with something like:
>
> auto vlan80
> iface vlan80 inet static
>   vlan-raw-device bond0
>   address 10.0.0.1/24

I agree that current support is not perfect, but I don't think there's
any reason for our users to feel blocked by this lack of support.
100% of expected functionality is available.

> Probably, the issue is in ifupdown, which probably should be "fixed" to
> use ip correctly, rather than the legacy tools. Whoever's fault, the
> direct effect is that it gets less user friendly, and we should fix that.

Unfortunately, AFAICT, ifupdown is also pretty much dead.  It hasn't
seen any major feature development in quite some time, and hasn't seen
an upload to unstable in nearly a year.

I suspect that the Right Way to do this on a modern Debian system would
be to use systemd-networkd and systemd netdev configuration.  I don't
know enough about this right now to provide an example, or to figure out
if/how this is usable with our current interface configuration
management approach, but systemd.netdev(5) provides some basic examples.

noah