Re: locales vs. locales-all

On 2019-01-28 08:46:44 -0800 (-0800), Ross Vandegrift wrote:
[...]
> This is what I'm used to, and the size seems like a compelling
> reason to use locales over locales-all. But I'm not really clear
> on the consequences.

An example: on my workstation, and indeed on most/all of my personal
systems, I rely on en_DK.UTF-8 to get English with ISO 8601 time and
date. Some programs crash outright with cryptic errors when an
unknown locale is encountered (yes it's a bug in those programs
which should get addressed eventually), so when I ssh into a virtual
machine which lacks locales-all I get to re-discover the negative
effects of my preference there. Once I remember that's what triggers
the problem behavior I can of course either install locales-all or
fix sshd_config to not use remotely-supplied locales or just tweak
my environment temporarily, but it's still a surprising effect which
other users are quite probably unable to identify and correct on
their own.
--
Jeremy Stanley