Re: updating cloud-init in stable

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 12:39:19PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >> Though if we're to have a Buster branch, best would probably be to just
> >> call the branch debian/buster, and start the fork from the debian/18.3-6
> >> tag (so we have a meaningful history). I usually have the habit to never
> >> start a debian/stable branch before it's actually needed, though now is
> >> the time, probably.
> >>
> >> At the moment, I cannot see your branch in Salsa. I guess you don't have
> >> direct write access to the package (which is probably needed for this
> >> kind of operation). Can someone grant it to you?
> >
> > Noah's access is correct, he should be able to push a new branch to the repo.
> > I imagine he kept it in his space for now in case anyone had questions:
> >   https://salsa.debian.org/noahm/cloud-init/commits/buster-p-u
> >
> > It's a no change backport from the current master.  That seems like a good plan
> > to me.  Is there a reason you'd like to go back to 18.3-6?
>
> I just would like to keep a relevant Git history of what's in Buster.
> It's not very important though... :)

We should create a branch based on the point that will require the
minimal changes in order to achieve what we want.  Since the goal is to
get the version in testing into stable-updates, we should branch from
that version (tag debian/19.3-1).  Changes necessary to build that for
stable are trivial.  Changes from any other version require more work
and result in a larger delta from the starting point.