Using disk images from cloud.debian.org

Hi,

sorry, I forgot to set a subject in my initial email. Fixing this now.

Please CC me, because I'm not subscribed to debian-cloud@l.d.o.

>Quoting Johannes Schauer (2019-11-17 08:44:32)
>> due to limitations of salsa CI and maybe bugs it is currently not possible
>> to create a virtual machine image that can be booted with qemu on the salsa
>> CI runners. Maybe it's possible to download a disk image from [1] to
>> circumvent that limitation?
>>
>> So first a feature request: Would it be possible to provide a stable URL to
>> download the latest Debian sid and buster images? Currently, the last directory
>> on [1] is named by date with an index on it and it would be an additional step
>> to parse the HTML to figure out which directory is the latest. Maybe a symlink
>> could be placed which always points to the latest image directory?
>>
>> Second feature request: the qcow2 images seem to have a virtual size of 2G.
>> This is a bit small to do anything useful in them. Could this size be bumped to
>> something larger? Because of how the qcow2 format works, this would not require
>> more disk space for the image itself.
> Basically, it's useless to make the disk bigger, because it is resized
> on-demand at boot time by cloud-init.

I assume then, that if I run a "qemu-img resize" before booting the image, then
cloud-init will take care of adjusting the partition inside the image to the
new disk size? Unfortunately I cannot test this myself because I'm still at a
loss as how to log into the system.

>> Then I have a few questions about the stuff that you host on [1] and it would
>> probably be best if you don't write your answer as an email reply to me but
>> enhance the docs at [1]. Thanks!
>>
>> 1. From what is written in the docs at the root it's obvious what the azure,
>>    ec2 and gce files are. But what is the difference between generic,
>>    genericcloud and nocloud files?
> Basically, generic and genericcloud are images suitable for OpenStack,
> and probably others (like Digital Ocean). The cloud one is using the cloud
> kernel, while the other, the standard kernel, so it would work for something
> like OpenStack baremetal (aka Ironic). Yes, they are different from the
> OpenStack ones, and you can choose between one or the other. My take is that
> we still don't have full feature parity (like generating the image only when
> needed), so probably the OpenStack image is currently best. We're looking
> into fixing the situation for Debian Bullseye.

And what are the "nocloud" images?

>> 2. What is the root password for the qcow2 images?
> There's no root password. In the cloud, you're supposed to have cloud-init
> fill-up /home/debian/.ssh/authorized_keys with the key provided by the
> metadata server.

As I explained in the first paragraph of my initial email, I'm trying to find
an alternative to creating a bootable disk image myself that I can then use on
salsa CI runners (for example inside autopkgtests). So there is no metadata
server.

>> 3. How can I connect via ssh? Is there a public key hosted somewhere?
> On which environment are you booting the images?

As I said in the beginning, I'm trying to find images that I can boot inside
salsa CI runners. So just with qemu I guess.

> Unfortunately, the EC2 image have a non-standard username. In OpenStack, it's
> normally "debian" as username, which is what cloud-init does. Each time, this
> can be overridden by metadata.

I guess that is more "cloud" stuff that I don't actually want. I'm just looking
for already prepared disk images I can boot into.

>> 4. What do the *-backports directories contain? Is it just stable releases
>>    with the backports repository enabled? Or have packages inside been
>>    upgraded to their backports versions?
> Even in the normal version, backports are activated (just like with a
> standard Debian system), but no packages from backports has been added.  I'm
> not sure what Waldi did in the backports folder, but looking into it (ie: in
> the .json), it looks like only the kernel has been taken from
> buster-backports.
>> 5. In [1] it says that there are SHA1SUMS and SHA256SUMS files and *.sign
>>    files.  But I don't see any for sid/daily. Where are those?
> It's still a missing feature compared to what I did over the last 3 Debian
> releases for the OpenStack images. Hopefully, we'll get this fixed.

Thanks!

cheers, josch