Re: Buster AMI interface names

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 at 02:24, Ross Vandegrift <rvandegrift@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 01:04:56AM +0200, Dick Visser wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 at 00:53, Noah Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> wrote:
> > > Can you explain why this causes problems for you? We want to keep device
> > > renaming enabled for consistency with standard Debian installations, and
> > > we aren't aware of specific problems with it that necessitate it being
> > > disabled.
> >
> > I'm using one of the AWS shell scripts (configure-pat.sh, which has
> > eth0 hardcoded) to do PAT for private instances, and this can be used
> > with many distros, but now not with Debian Buster.
>
> IMO, it'd be mich better to fix the script to find the appropriate
> interface name.  That's easy in common cases:
>   IFACE=$(ip -o route show default | awk '{print $5}')

Of course, that's much easier, just did that.
BTW that shell script isn't available as such, but it's in their NAT
instance AMIs, but those are based on a different distro where eth0 is
available.
I merely adjusted it so I can run it on Debian myself:
https://gist.github.com/dnmvisser/2659defa5a1974b109413b2941472ff6.
Note that this does require the installation of curl though - that
isn't available in the Buster AMI (but it is in the Stretch one).
For my deployment this is OK because the hosts need that anyway.

--
Dick Visser
Trust & Identity Service Operations Manager