Re: Cloud Image Finder Prototype

Hi Thomas, in response to your feedback:

1. I think that shows better details about one specific image, we will update this on our prototype.

2. In this case, we can remove Release and leave just Code name, but just to clarify the finder will only store images details about public cloud providers but we still consider the output fields that you propose.

3. This is a thing that we are getting feedback to see which model will be mode interactive with users, but we note your point of view on this topic.

4. For images generated on CI/CD, the final job will update automatically the finder, for public providers that build their images when they publish one new image they will need to post the metadata on the finder API that we will provide for each provider.

5. Just like explained before you will have the finder API to publish these custom images and you can change it type when you publish your images.

6. We will update that to just cover Arm64, Amd64 for now.

Thanks for your feedback!

Best,

Arthur Diniz

Em ter, 21 de mai de 2019 às 04:10, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> escreveu:
On 5/20/19 8:38 PM, Arthur Diniz wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I would like to introduce the Cloud Image Finder repository to cloud
> team, we are current working  on
> https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/image-finderand in the last week we
> came up with some prototypes  about the project. Now we would like to
> collect feedback from the team to proceed with documentation and code.
>

> The first thing we did was a [1]
> <https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/image-finder/wikis/Low-Fidelity-Prototype>Low
> Fidelity Prototype
> <https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/image-finder/wikis/Low-Fidelity-Prototype>,
> this was just a draft that we based to came  up with the [2]
> <https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/image-finder/issues/3>High Fidelity
> Prototype <https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/image-finder/issues/3>.
>

> The feedback can be given replying this email or on salsa issues and
> will be documented on [3]
> <https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/image-finder/wikis/home>wiki
> <https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/image-finder/wikis/home>pages.
>

> Also we think that is important that if you could tell us what feature
> do you  expect in an Image Finder that we could not leave it behind.
>
> [1]
> https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/image-finder/wikis/Low-Fidelity-Prototype
> [2] https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/image-finder/issues/3
> [3] https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/image-finder/wikis/home
>
> Best,
>
> Arthur Diniz

Hi Arthur,

This prototype is a very good idea, so you directly aim at the correct
design.

In your "provider details", I can see name, zone, version, etc., though
what's really missing is the image ID and the API URL. I guess an
example output of your table would be:

Name                  Zone Version Code Name  Arch  Release

debian-stretch-9.9.0  Eu1  9.9.0   Stretch    amd64  ?

What will you put under "Release" that's not covered in "Code Name" and
"Version"?

To me, it's missing these fields (just an example):

Provider name: Infomaniak Network SA
Provider Home page: http://www.infomaniak.com
API URL: https://eu1.cloud.infomaniak.ch
Image ID: de5a9652-8af5-410d-adf7-055e5a45a85e
Format: qcow2
Image type: Base image (more on this below...)

I don't really like the fact that you are against "cloud providers'
logo" because you believe it does promotion. Indeed, we're already
providing images for GCE, Google and AWS, which will have a huge
exposure (because they have their respective sections). I don't think it
is nice to provider non-free providers a better exposure than their
free-software based counterpart.

Also, you have to make sure that providers have automation to update the
finder.

Another thing: we may soon provide specialized image, containing some
kind of application. Let me explain. In Buster, we have Octavia. This is
a "load balancer as a service". I managed to make a debian based image
for this, containing the Octavia agent, and some other tweakings, so
that the image can be used directly by Octavia. I'd love to make this an
official Debian image soon.

This is just an example, but I'm convinced their will be others, for
example for OpenStack Trove (DB as a Service) and maybe more.

In such case, we may want to make it explicite which type of image we're
talking about. For example "Base image" or "Octavia HAProxy Amphora".

The prototype code for Octavia's image is here:
https://salsa.debian.org/openstack-team/debian/openstack-debian-images/tree/debian/stein/contrib/octavia

I will need to work and fix Octavia in Buster to get this produce a
Buster image though, as currently, it only does Buster + backports. I'm
really planning to do that work at some point.

BTW: I don't think there's ever going to be anyone providing i386
images... :)

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)