Re: Installing plymouth

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 02:25:20PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 1/30/19 1:45 PM, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:47:01PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >> To get systemd to log on all tty (ie: tty0 and ttyS0), plymouth is
> >> needed. So, my proposal is to get plymouth installed by default on our
> >> images, with the "nosplash" option on the kernel command line (so that
> >> plymouth doesn't display a splash screen).
> > I tried that and don't see any difference.  Please describe in more
> > detail what the expected behaviour is.
> If you put systemd.show_status=true in the kernel command line, and if
> there's:
> console=tty0 console=ttyS0
> then systemd will only print to ttyS0 unless plymouth is installed
> (though I am setting it up with "nosplash text" on the kernel command
> line so it doesn't bother).

"systemd.show_status=true" modifies the status output, not the log.
Also on is the default and only overriden by "quiet".

"nosplash" disables all plymouth services, see
debian/patches/0005-cmdline.patch in the plymouth source.

> >> Any objection? Or would you guys want this only in the OpenStack image?
> > Yes.  I don't see how it should do what you want.
> And now?

Well, it would be nice if you tried to explain what you are trying to
accomplish or wanted to see.

systemd got two output mechanisms: status and log.

log goes to the journal, but can also go via kmsg and the console.

status is only active on boot, before the gettys are active and the
output is cleared.

Regards,
Bastian

--
Each kiss is as the first.
		-- Miramanee, Kirk's wife, "The Paradise Syndrome",