Re: Announcing EOL for Jessie images

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 11:17:05AM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 09:09:55AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Oct 2018, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> > One of our (many!) discussion topics at our sprint last week was
>> > announcing the end of support for our published Jessie (Debian 8.x)
>> > images. We strongly recommend that all our existing users should move
>> > forward to Stretch (Debian 9.x) to ensure that they have continuing
>> > security support. Jessie is no longer officially supported by Debian,
>> > so our advertised cloud images should also reflect that.
>>
>> Are you unaware of Debian LTS or are there any reasons why the security
>> support provided by that official Debian team is not suitable in the
>> context of cloud images?
>
>Please search for LTS in the notes of our meeting last week:
>
>https://gobby.debian.org/export/Sprints/CloudSprint2018/Notes

The main thing: concerns were raised by several of the cloud platforms
people that LTS security doesn't seem to be working very well. They're
not seeing fixes happening for known issues, and so at the moment they
don't have trust in the process.

We therefore agreed as a team to *not* provide LTS support for cloud
images. Other people are welcome to pick up our scripts and config if
desired.

"When C++ is your hammer, everything looks like a thumb." -- Steven M. Haflich